Last weekend, Colby played in his 2nd tournament with his new select baseball team. He came home from practice last week telling us that he was going to get to pitch in the tournament. As always, I told him, 'That is awesome, son, but remember, just play wherever the coach puts you.' Coaches have a tendency to tell a kid one thing and then do another. Colby has been eager to pitch for quite some time. He has only pitched 3 or 4 times in actual games. He just have never been given the opportunity to fully develop as a pitcher. The kid has some amazing arm strength (even for a small as he is).
Anyways, so Saturday, 2nd inning comes along and Colby is placed on the pitcher's mound. I could no longer sit. I know most of the people who read this don't have kids our boys' age (so you don't really understand), but the feeling you get when your child is the 'center of attention' whether it be on stage, on the field, on the court, etc. your stomach just turns in knots. You get nervous and excited - all at the same time. I got up and paced back and forth b/w the bleachers and the dugout. Colby did AMAZING. He struck out several batters. He had 2 ball hit straight back at him. One he dove and caught for an out, and the other one he snagged as it flew right by him for another out. It was so great to watch him finally get his real chance to prove that he can pitch. After the game, while we were at the concession stand, he had several parents from the opposing team come up and tell him how great he did.
When the tournament was over on Sunday, each player was presented with small little wooden home plate in memory of the girl that the tournament was benefiting. Along with the commemorative home plate, an award was given to one player on each team. It is called the Barnabas Award, which is given to athletes who encouraged others to strive for their best performance athletically and personally. Colby was selected as the player from his team for this award! Of course, my camera died as I was trying to take a picture, so I missed the picture of him being presented with the award. Below is a picture of him at home in the backyard with the award.


2 comments:
Awww. Yay for Colby. i bet you were beaming with pride! Give him a hug and kiss from Kate and tell him I am proud!
He looks so cute! LOL
Post a Comment