Ha! I was at a 5th grade parent meeting yesterday and was talking to 2 neighbors who have boys our boys' age. One suggested carpooling in the mornings for next school year. I agreed that it sounded like a great idea. As Im walking back to my car, I realize that ummm..yeah that won't work. I drive a Jetta, which can barely haul my boys and their stuff to school, so I don't think taking 4 boys to school in my car will work. Both other moms drive mini-vans. We were planning on buying a new kid hauler this fall, but now plan on waiting to see what happens with the car industry. I already have picked out what I want - a GMC Acadia - but if GM does indeed file bankruptcy, I'm not sure, which is why we are waiting. Guess I'll have to break the news to them that carpooling won't work for us, which really doesn't bother me b/c if our boys want to walk to school in the mornings, I don't have to worry about having to pick up the other kids on the weeks that it would've been my turn.
On another note, the mom I was talking to said that she will be picking the boys up from school so she could pick up our boys. She won't allow her son to walk home. Mind you, we live 1.26 miles from the Middle School. I guess I don't understand why she is so adament about not allowing her kids to walk home. Tristen currently walks home and we've had absolutely no problems at all. I know our boys feel a sense of 'freedom' by walking home. I guess some parents just shelter their kids more than others. (I'm not saying that either way is right or wrong; to each their own.)
PS. - Kids are expensive. Next school year hasn't even started yet and I just paid $141 for school supplies (pre-packaged), PE Clothes, and Spirit Wear. Sheesh!
-- Post From My iPhone
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Oops....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'd like to think I won't end up driving a minivan but then I don't think being a soccer mom would be that bad right? Sounds like fun to me!
(I'd rather be a Jetta mom though!)
1.26 miles? I think that would be a 30 minute walk for me!!! Do they not have buses for the neighborhood? I think middle school is a fine age to have the freedom to walk home, esp with all the ways to stay in touch now and esp if they get to walk home together.
Yeah, it is a 30 minute walk. You have to live more than 2 miles from the school to ride the bus, or you can stay for afternoon tutorials and ride the bus home. If they ride the late bus, they don't get home until 5:20!!!!!!
I just found your blog...so i know this is late to comment on but i had to do it.
so i am a school teacher and all i can say is that A.LOT of parents think they are helicopters...love to hover!
Post a Comment